Braised Beef with Mushrooms and Roasted Root Vegetables
- 1 1/2 pounds beef (chuck or round), cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 6 tablespoons oil, plus 2 tablespoons, plus 2 tablespoons
- 4 ounces chopped onion
- 2 ounces chopped celery
- 2 ounces chopped carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, plus 1 clove
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 quarts veal stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme leaves
- 8 ounces tourneed carrots
- 8 ounces tourneed celeriac
- 8 ounces tourneed turnips
In a large skillet, sear the beef in 6 tablespoons oil. Add the onion, celery, 2 ounces of the carrot, 2 cloves of the garlic and caramelize.
Add tomato paste, stock, and bay leaves. Simmer and let cook until meat is tender, about 1 hour. If meat is not tender, continue cooking, checking every 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Toss the tourneed carrots, celeriac, and turnip with oil. Roast until tender, about 40 minutes.
In a separate saucepan, saute the mushrooms and thyme in oil, until the mushrooms have given up most of their liquid and are tender. Add the mushroom mixture to the stew.
Serve beef with roasted vegetables.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse
Recipe courtesy of Paul Young