- 1 beef chuck pot roast, cut into serving-sized pieces (about 2 pounds)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces small shallots, peeled
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package (8 ounces) mushrooms, cut in quarters
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup Swanson® Beef Stock
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 lemon
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1. Season the beef with the salt and black pepper.
2. Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook until well browned on all sides. Remove the beef from the skillet. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat.
3. Add the shallots to the skillet. Cook for 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, mushrooms and flour and cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes.
4. Stir the stock, vinegar and brown sugar in a small bowl until the mixture is smooth. Stir the stock mixture in the skillet and heat to a boil. Return the beef to the skillet. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 1½ hours.
5. Uncover the skillet and cook for 30 minutes or until the beef is fork-tender and the vegetables are tender.
6. Grate 2 tablespoons zest from the lemon. Stir the lemon zest and parsley in a small bowl. Sprinkle the lemon zest mixture over the beef mixture.