Braised Buffalo Short Ribs
- 2 onions
- 4 Buffalo short ribs (1 1/2-inches each)
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 tablespoon crushed juniper berries
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1/2 cup canola oil, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 cup flour
- 4 ounces chokecherry preserve
- 1 pint veal stock
- Salt and pepper
- 4 medium sized mushrooms, sliced
- 16 summer pearl onions
- Fresh grated horseradish
- Serving suggestions: mashed potatoes, Sauteed mushrooms and onion, and a side of freshly grated horseradish
Slice the onions and place on top of short ribs. Cover with wine. Make a sachet with juniper berries, bay leaves, thyme, and rosemary and place in the liquid. Marinate, refrigerated, for 24 hours.
Remove buffalo from marinade, reserving marinade. Heat 1/2 cup oil in a medium sized stockpot. Lightly coat buffalo in the flour and brown on both sides. Remove buffalo and add the marinated sliced onions, cooking until golden brown. Pour off excess oil. Add back the buffalo with the onions, and the reserved marinade. Simmer for ten minutes. Add the veal stock and chokecherry preserves. Simmer covered for about two hours. Adjust seasoning, to taste.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.