Braised Escarole with Apples
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 crisp apple such as Gala or Granny Smith, cut lengthwise into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium heads (or 1 1/2 large heads) escarole, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then saute apple, stirring occasionally, until tender and slightly caramelized, about 2 minutes. Transfer apple to a dish with a slotted spoon.
Cook shallots in remaining butter over moderate heat, stirring, until softened. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add escarole and toss over moderately high heat until it begins to wilt, about 1 minute. Add vinegar and water and cook, covered, until escarole is tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in apple, pecans, and salt and pepper, to taste, and cook until just heated through.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.