Braised Red Cabbage
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 Granny Smith apples, sliced
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 teaspoons ginger powder
- Salt and pepper
- 4 pounds red cabbage, cut into julienne
- A few gold leaves for decoration (optional ? available at specialty stores)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat a heavy casserole. Add peanut oil. Saute red onion until translucent. Sprinkle in brown sugar and cook for a few minutes until it starts to caramelize.
Add red cabbage and continue to cook for about 10 minutes on top of the stove.
Cover cabbage with foil and cook in 350 degrees F. oven for about 45 minutes. Remove. Taste, and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
Recipe courtesy Wolfgang Puck