Braised Turkey Shanks
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 turkey drumsticks, frenched
- 8 ounces sliced smoked sausage
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger root
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup diced sweet potatoes
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup sliced okra (reserve some whole okra for garnish)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cooked collard greens
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup toasted unsalted peanuts
Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the turkey drumsticks and saute for 5 minutes. Add the sausage and onions and cook until the onions are translucent. Add the gingerroot, garlic, sweet potatoes, celery, sliced okra, and chicken stock. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Add the chopped tomato, collard greens and cayenne pepper, to taste. Simmer for approximately 15 minutes longer. Add the salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with whole okra and toasted peanuts.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Braised Dark Meat Turkey over Egg Noodles, Braised and Roasted Domestic Lamb Shanks with Gorgonzola Crust, Sweet Corn-Tomato Risotto, and Lamb Braising Juices, Braised Veal Shank with Marjoram: Stinco di Vitello, Candied Pecan Recipes, Macadamia Nut, Christmas Dinner Recipes, Nuts, Central American, Okra
Thank you! your flag was submitted.