- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 plum tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 (14-ounce) can hearts of palm, drained and palms cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup Sherry
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg yolk
- Oil, for frying
Sift together the flour, salt, and tumeric. Work in the butter and shortening until it has a cornmeal-like consistency. Add the egg and the beer, and work until incorporated. Cover with a wet towel, and rest for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, saute the onion, tomatoes, and hearts of palm in butter for 2 to 3 minutes, until soft. Deglaze with the Sherry. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Add shrimp and cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Let cool to room temperature.
Preheat oil to 350 degrees F.
Roll dough into 1-inch balls and flatten into rounds approximately 3-inches in diameter. Spoon 1 tablespoon of stuffing onto each round, fold the dough in half, brush edges with egg yolk, and pinch to seal. Fry the empanadas for 4 minutes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.