- 1/4 cup olive oil or 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 ripe plantains or bananas, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices on the diagonal
- 5 garlic cloves, minced or pureed
- 1 bunch fresh oregano, leaves only, chopped, or 1/2 tablespoon dried
- 1/2 bunch fresh thyme, leaves only, chopped, or 1/2 tablespoon dried
- Small sprig of fresh rosemary, leaves only, chopped, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1 1/2 cups canned tomatoes, diced, with the juices
- 6 ounces baguette (about 1/3 loaf), cut into 1/2-inch chunks (with crust)
- 6 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 limes, cut into quarters, for garnish
Heat the olive oil or butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook the onions with the salt until they start to caramelize, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the plantains or bananas and cook 10 minutes longer. Stir in the garlic, oregano, thyme, and rosemary and cook just until aromatic, about 3 minutes longer.
Add the tomatoes, bread chunks and chicken or vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until the bread has softened and the flavors are well blended, about 45 minutes. Ladle the soup into bowls, then squeeze a wedge of lime into each and toss in the wedge. Serve hot.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.