Cheese Cart Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound orecchiette pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups milk, at room temperature
- 1/4 pound Asiago cheese, shredded
- 1/4 pound fontina cheese, shredded
- 1/4 pound Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Crunchy Garlic Bread Crumb Topping:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs, toasted*
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium heat. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 6 to 8 minutes.
While the pasta is cooking, in a saucepan over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Whisk in the flour and cook stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Slowly add the milk and whisk well to get rid of all the lumps. Bring to a simmer. Stir in cheeses and season with white pepper and salt, to taste. Drain the pasta from the water and return it back to the pot. Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta and stir to combine.
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the parsley, bread crumbs, and Parmesan. Mix until the bread crumbs are completely coated with butter mixture.
Serve the mac and cheese in small bowls topped with the garlic bread crumbs.
If you can't find fresh bread crumbs then cut about a quarter of a loaf of crusty Italian bread into small cubes. Add the cubes in a food processor and pulse until coarsely ground. Put the bread crumbs onto a sheet pan and toast in a preheated 375 degree F oven until lightly brown and toasted, about 8 minutes.