- Store-bought or homemade pie dough
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped roasted or steamed broccoli
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sauteed sliced red onions
- 3/4 to 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream, half-and-half or milk
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika or chile powder, or some grated lemon zest (optional)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pie dough and crimp as desired; chill 30 minutes. Line with foil, then fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake until the crust is set, about 20 minutes. Remove the foil and weights and continue baking until lightly golden, 5 to 10 more minutes. Let cool while you prepare the filling.
Put the broccoli and red onions in a large bowl. Add the pepper jack and toss to combine.
Whisk the eggs, heavy cream, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Stir in the chives. Add the and paprika, chile powder or lemon zest, if desired. Spread the vegetable-cheese mixture in the crust, then pour the egg mixture on top. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake until the filling is set, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool at least 30 minutes before slicing.
Photograph by Andrew Purcell