Broccoli-Kaffir Lime 'Souffle' with Its Salad
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon lime zest, minced
- 1 cup broccoli stems, peeled, finely diced, 1/16-inch
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 12 to 16 kaffir lime leaves, sliced lengthwise to remove stem
- 8 eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Canola oil to cook
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
- 4 shirred egg dishes or small oval baking dishes, buttered and floured
- Its Salad:
- 12 to 16 small broccoli florets, salt blanched and re-freshed
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmigiano Reggiano
Preheat an oven to 500 degrees F with a thick (cookie) tray or hotel pan. In a saute pan coated lightly with oil, saute the garlic, zest and minced broccoli for 5 minutes until soft. Season with salt and pepper and set aside to cool completely. In a small saucepan, heat the cream, milk and kaffir lime leaves and bring to a simmer. Let reduce for 20 minutes then turn off heat and let sit an additional 30 minutes. Strain out the kaffir leaves, and bring back to scalding. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and cornstarch until smooth.
To "temper" the egg yolks, add the milk to the egg mixture in a slow, steady stream. Put the egg mixture back into the sauce pot and cook over low heat. Whisk until thickened, like stirred yogurt, about 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to shallow baking dish or soup plate, cover with plastic wrap and store in fridge until cold. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Remove the custard from the refrigerator, whisk until smooth and fold in the chilled broccoli and the cheese. Fold equal parts by volume of the egg whites with the mixture. Ladle into the ramekins, place on tray and bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until golden brown on top.Its Salad:
In a salad bowl, whisk together the juice, shallots and Dijon. Drizzle in the oil and season. Toss with florets and check for flavor.
Plating: On an oval plate, place each 'souffle' on one side and stack a few florets on the other side. Garnish with Parmigiano Reggiano.
Beverage: Herb-y, vegetal Sauvignon Blanc
Thank you! your flag was submitted.