- 1 loaf French bread, sliced into 1/4 inch thick slices
- Olive oil
- 9 fresh figs, sliced in half
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 18 ounces Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Brush broth sides of the bread slices with olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 5 minutes. Turn the bread slices over and bake for another 5 minutes, or until toasted. Remove from the oven and cool. Preheat the broiler to high. Place each of the fig halves on a slice of toasted bread. Season with salt and pepper. Top with 1 ounce of crumbled gorgonzola. Place on a baking sheet. Broil the fig and gorgonzola sandwiches for 1 minute, or just until the cheese begins to melt. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with toasted walnuts. Top each sandwich with another slice of bread. Serve.