Broiled Marinated Tofu Sandwich
- 12 ounces firm tofu (Chinese-style)
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cumin, chili powder and dried oregano
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium clove minced garlic
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 4 thick slices whole wheat bread, lightly toasted
- Chili mayonnaise (see below)
- Sliced tomato, washed arugula and, optional: slices of red onion
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cut tofu into 1-inch thick slices. Drain. Set them on a sheet, cover with another baking pan or cookie sheet and weight down with something heavy; drain for at least 1/2 hour to remove excess water.
In a small cast iron skillet toast cumin, chili and oregano until they emit a lovely aroma. Remove to a nonreactive saucepan and add olive oil, garlic, vinegar and white wine. Bring to a simmer. Transfer drained and weighted tofu to a ceramic or glass dish and pour marinade over tofu. Cover with plastic and refrigerate for a day at least or, for up to 3 to 4 days.
Preheat the broiler. Remove marinated tofu, pat dry and broil, about 6 inches away from the heat until crispy on each side.
Spread bread with mayonnaise; slice tofu in half to make 1/2-inch slices and set over mayonnaise. Top with tomato, arugula and onion if you wish. Spread second slice of toasted bread with chili mayo and cover sandwich.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.