Bronco Bob's Chili
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 canned green hatch chile, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce (recommended: El Pato brand)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth, divided
- 8 tablespoons California chili powder, divided (recommended: Sespe Creek Chili Potters)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons adobo seasoning blend, divided (recommended: Accent)
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 1/2 pounds beef tri tip, cubed
- 4 ounces pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons mild New Mexico chili powder (recommended: Sespe Creek Chili Potters)
- 3 tablespoons cumin, divided
- 1 tablespoon hot New Mexico chili powder (recommended: Sespe Creek Chili Potters)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
In a chili pot, combine onion, green chile, garlic, tomato sauce, tomato paste, chicken broth, 6 tablespoons California chili powder, salt, 1 teaspoon adobo seasoning blend, and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 1 hour. After chili has simmered for 1 hour, add the remaining 2 tablespoons California chili powder.
In a large skillet, brown beef and sausage together over medium-high heat. Add beef and sausage to chili and simmer for 30 minutes, adding more chicken broth as needed. Add the mild New Mexico chili powder and 2 tablespoons cumin and simmer another 45 minutes. Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon adobo seasoning blend, 1 tablespoon cumin, 1 tablespoon hot New Mexico chili powder, and the lime juice. Cook for another 30 minutes, adding more chicken broth as needed. Season with additional salt, to taste.
Zest factor: medium hot
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.