Budin de Polenta with Mushroom and Sausage
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 pound chorizo
- 1 pound morcilla or Argentine blood sausage
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 ancho or pasilla
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 sprig basil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups instant polenta
- 1/2 cup shredded Spanish manchego
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 1 cup stemmed and quartered portobello (about 1 to 2 mushrooms)
- 1 cup chanterelle strips (about 7 to 8 mushrooms) (stemmed and pulled apart with your fingers)
- 1 cup stemmed and julienned shiitakes (about 7 to 8 mushrooms)
- 1 cup Merlot
- 1/2 pint currant tomatoes
- 1 bunch basil, leaves picked
- 1 tablespoon butter
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large saute pan, saute sausages, and place in the oven at 350 degrees for about 7 to 8 minutes. Lower oven temperature to 250 degrees F.
Meanwhile, start the polenta. Combine milk, stock, chile, butter, herbs, salt, and pepper in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil and remove herbs. Slowly pour in polenta whisking constantly until thick. Remove immediately and add the cheese, stirring until incorporated. Pour into a lightly buttered bowl. Place in 250 degree F oven until ready to serve.
Remove sausage from the pan and drain the fat. To the same pan, add shallots, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook until soft. Add wine and tomatoes and place sausages back into the pan. Reduce down 3/4 of the way; finish with picked basil and butter. Remove polenta from oven, invert onto a large platter. Place sausage mixture around the polenta.
Recipe courtesy Michelle Bernstein