- 2 pounds butter
- 1/2 -quart warm water
- 2 pounds granulated sugar, plus 1/2-ounce
- 1/4 teaspoon lecithin ( emulsifier)
- 1/2 pound raw almonds, chopped, plus extra almonds, roasted and chopped, for garnish
- 1/4 -ounce table salt
- 1/2 -ounce granulated sugar
- Melted chocolate, for garnish,optional
Melt butter and bring to boil. Add warm water and return to boil. Add the 2 pounds of sugar and lecithin, stirring constantly, until mixture becomes homogenous. Add almonds and cook until almonds are roasted. Lower flame and cook to 300 degrees F. Take off heat; add salt and remaining 1/2-ounce granulated sugar until dissolved, stirring constantly. Pour onto greased baking sheet, spread out as thin as practical, score and cut.
Option: Once cooled, dip in melted chocolate and sprinkle with roasted chopped almonds.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Robert Nagel