Recipe courtesy of Gourmet Magazine
- 1 large pizza or 4 individual
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 recipe basic pizza dough
- 2 cups prepared tomato sauce
- 3 cups grated mozzarella, cheddar and/or monterey jack cheese
- Topping ideas:
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch wide strips
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, cut into strips
- Large Kalamata olives, halved and pitted
- Sliced pepperoni
Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Grease a large flat baking sheet with olive oil.
Separate 1/3 of the dough and set aside. On a greased baking sheet shape the remaining two- thirds of the dough into a butterfly with 2 wings. Roll the reserved piece of dough into a "snake" and position in the center of the two wings as the "body". Pull some of the "body" dough up to shape into a "head" and pull some of the "body" dough down for a "tail."
Spread sauce over the "wings". Sprinkle with cheese and decorate with toppings of choice. Bake the pizza on the middle rack of the oven for 20 to 30 minutes until crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbly. Serve warm.
As an alternative the dough can be divided into 4 pieces and then shaped into bug or creature of choice, i.e. spider with legs, ladybug, dragonfly, snake, etc.