Buttery Apple Brown Betty
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts mixed with 1/4 cup flour, 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon and a pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons chilled butter
- 4 slices dried out egg, brioche or challah bread, crusts removed and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup raisins soaked in rum, Port or Cognac
- 4 Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apples peeled, cored, quartered and sliced
- Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for garnish
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly butter a 9-inch square baking pan.
Cut the chilled butter into the walnut and cinnamon flour, with a pastry blender or fork until it is like coarse crumbs; set aside. Drizzle melted butter over cubed bread to coat, then toss with apples and raisins
Note that if you are starting out with fresh bread, then dry it out first in an oven
Thank you! your flag was submitted.