- 1 loaf Italian bread
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1/2 cup
- 1 garlic clove, minced, plus 3 cloves peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 3 anchovy fillets
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, cut in 2-inch pieces
- 2 bunches watercress, trimmed
- 1 hard boiled egg
- 1 cup shredded Pecorino Romano
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 pound cooked grilled chicken, sliced in strips (optional)
Remove the crust from the Italian bread then cut the loaf into cubes. Place the bread cubes in a mixing bowl. In a small pan over medium heat, add the oil, minced garlic, and oregano. Cook for 2 minutes to infuse the flavors. Pour the oil over the bread cubes and toss. Season with salt and pepper. Spread the bread cubes in a single layer on a baking pan and bake for 10 minutes in a preheated 400-degree F oven. The croutons should be crisp but not too hard to pierce with a fork.
In a mini food processor, combine remaining garlic, anchovy, mustard, lemon, vinegar, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Process for 30 seconds to make a paste. Add the olive oil and process again until combined. Combine the romaine and watercress in a large salad bowl. Grate the hard boiled egg into the bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss to coat the leaves. Add the cheese, croutons, parsley and chicken, toss well. Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.