Calabaza Soup: Sopa de Calabaza
- Olive oil, for drizzling, plus 1/4 cup
- 2 pounds calabaza, peeled and cut in large pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 white onions, large dice
- 1 green pepper, large dice
- 1 red pepper, large dice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 plum tomatoes, quartered
- 2 cups white wine
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 quarts heavy cream, plus 1 cup, whipped with 1 teaspoon vanilla, for garnish
- 1/2 bunch thyme, about 12 sprigs, leaves picked
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Drizzle a little bit of olive oil over the calabaza. Season with salt and pepper, and roast in the oven until tender, about 1/2 hour.
In a large stockpot, heat 1/4 cup olive oil and saute onions, green pepper, red pepper, and garlic. Cook for about 8 minutes or until caramelized. Add the tomatoes and cook for 3 more minutes.
Deglaze with white wine. Add chicken stock and heavy cream and the roasted calabaza. Add the thyme. Bring to a boil. Simmer about 20 minutes. Puree all the ingredients. Strain the soup and adjust the seasonings. Garnish with vanilla-flavored whipped cream, if desired.
Recipe courtesy Alex Garcia