- 2 pounds fresh crabmeat
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 scallions, including the green tops, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 branches, fresh thyme, crumbled, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 pound slab bacon, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 pound fresh spinach or callaloo greens, cleaned with stems removed
- 1 pound okra, topped, tailed and cut into rounds
- 7 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Scotch Bonnet chile, pricked with a fork
- 3 limes, juiced
Brown the crabmeat in the oil with the scallions, 1 teaspoon of the garlic, and the crumbled thyme. In a stockpot, brown the diced bacon. Wilt the spinach in the rendered bacon fat. Add the okra, cover with the water, add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk. When done, add the crabmeat, remaining garlic, and chile that has been pricked with a fork. Continue to cook over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. When done, add the lime juice, whisk it through thoroughly, and serve hot.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.