Callaloo's Jerk Chicken
- 5 bunches whole scallions, finely chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Scotch bonnet peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup ground allspice (dry pimento berries)
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup water
- 5 pounds chicken thighs or 2 whole chickens cut into quarters (dark meat tastes better)
Combine the ingredients (except the water and chicken) in a large bowl. Then add the water to create a paste. You should then add the chicken and let it marinate, at least 1 hour or ideally 24 hours in the refrigerator. You can grill or bake the chicken; ideally you mark the chicken on the grill, and then finish it off in the oven.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.