Callaloo's Jerk Chicken
- 5 bunches whole scallions, finely chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Scotch bonnet peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup ground allspice (dry pimento berries)
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup water
- 5 pounds chicken thighs or 2 whole chickens cut into quarters (dark meat tastes better)
Combine the ingredients (except the water and chicken) in a large bowl. Then add the water to create a paste. You should then add the chicken and let it marinate, at least 1 hour or ideally 24 hours in the refrigerator. You can grill or bake the chicken; ideally you mark the chicken on the grill, and then finish it off in the oven.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Gregory Jolliff
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen