- 1 medium onion, cut into large pieces
- 1 chicken, cut into pieces, carcass reserved
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups rice
- 1/2 pound cod fish fillets
- 1/2 pound raw, peeled shrimp, shells reserved
- 1 pound clams
- 1 pound mussels
- 1 pound linguica, sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 2 cups shrimp/chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron or substitute such as safflower, Sazon or Bijol
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Hot pepper sauce
In a large saucepan combine onion, chicken carcass, shrimp shells and enough water to cover all (at least 3 cups), and simmer for approximately 1 hour. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Reserve 2 cups for Paella.
Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry. Season with salt, pepper. Saute in 1/4 cup olive oil until golden. Remove chicken and saute garlic, onion and rice for a few minutes. Add chicken back to skillet on top of rice, tuck in seafood and sausage. Add shrimp/chicken stock, wine, saffron and bell peppers. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Sprinkle peas on top, cover again and continue to cook 10 additional minutes. Serve with hot pepper sauce.
* Guest Recipe
A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.