Calypso Beef Soup (Nuevo Latino Beef Dishes)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup diced peeled sweet potato
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water or ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 can (15 1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed, drained
- 1 can (13 1/2 ounces) light unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups packed fresh baby spinach leaves
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Brown ground beef in large nonstick skillet over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is not pink, breaking up into 3/4-inch crumbles. Pour off drippings. Add sweet potato, onion, bell pepper and curry powder. Cook 4 to 5 minutes or until onion and peppers are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour; cook and stir 1 minute.
Stir in water, black-eyed peas and coconut milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes or until sweet potato is tender. Stir in spinach and thyme. Cook 1 minute or until spinach wilts. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
Cook's Tip: Regular fresh spinach, stems removed and coarsely chopped, may be substituted for baby spinach leaves.
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.