Calypso Beef Soup (Nuevo Latino Beef Dishes)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup diced peeled sweet potato
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water or ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 can (15 1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed, drained
- 1 can (13 1/2 ounces) light unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups packed fresh baby spinach leaves
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Brown ground beef in large nonstick skillet over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is not pink, breaking up into 3/4-inch crumbles. Pour off drippings. Add sweet potato, onion, bell pepper and curry powder. Cook 4 to 5 minutes or until onion and peppers are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour; cook and stir 1 minute.
Stir in water, black-eyed peas and coconut milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes or until sweet potato is tender. Stir in spinach and thyme. Cook 1 minute or until spinach wilts. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
Cook's Tip: Regular fresh spinach, stems removed and coarsely chopped, may be substituted for baby spinach leaves.
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy American National CattleWomen, Inc. created by Roxanne Chan, Albany, California