- 1 cup rice
- 2 small onions, chopped fine
- 1/2 bunch fresh parsley leaves, chopped or 2 teaspoons dry parsley
- Chopped basil, minced garlic, oregano, salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 8 ounces homemade or store bought tomato sauce
- 8 ounces pizza sauce
- 1 cup grated Romano
- 1/2 cup shredded provolone
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 pounds favorite pizza dough
Cook the rice according to package directions, let cool. Mix the onions, parsley, basil, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper into the ground beef. Saute until the meat is browned and all of the red is gone. After sauteing, drain the beef and cool (best if refrigerated). When beef has cooled, add sauces, cheese and bread crumbs 1/2 a cup at a time. Mix in well, result should not be too stiff. Adjust if necessary with bread crumbs or sauces. Check to be sure the seasonings are to taste.
Roll out the dough into approximately 6-inch circles, put in 1/3-cup meat mixture and fold over like an apple turnover. Squeeze edges with a fork and deep fry until golden brown.
Note: This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Pasquale Giorgilli
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee