Camarones en Escabeche
- 4 to 6 servings
- 1 pound fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 4 jalapeno chiles, sliced in disks
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 head Romaine lettuce leaves
- 8 radishes, sliced
- 16 green olives, sliced
Saute the shrimp, a few at a time, in a little of the olive oil until lightly brown, adding more oil as needed. Place in a covered dish or jar.
In a saucepan, combine the remaining oil with the bay leaf, cumin, nutmeg, garlic, paprika, vinegar, onions, chiles, salt, and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil slowly and simmer until the onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
Pour the vinegar mixture over the shrimp. Chill overnight.
Serve on Romaine leaves, garnished with radishes and green olives.
c.1997, M.S. Milliken & S. Feniger, all rights reserved