Cannoli-Stuffed French Toast Nuggets
- 3 tablespoons fat-free ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 no-calorie sweetener packet
- 1 light hot dog bun (about 80 calories)
- 1/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons light whipped butter or light buttery spread
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered sugar
- Sugar-free pancake syrup, for topping, optional
In a small bowl, combine ricotta cheese, chocolate chips, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and sweetener, and mix well.
Split hot dog bun open lengthwise, without fully separating the 2 halves. Spoon ricotta mixture onto the bottom half of the bun. Gently press the top 1/2 down over the filling. Carefully slice into 4 "nuggets."
Mix egg substitute, cinnamon, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract in a small bowl. Set aside.
Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Add butter and allow to coat the bottom of the skillet. Meanwhile, coat each nugget on all sides with the egg mixture. (You won't need to use all of the egg mixture.)
Once butter has melted, place nuggets in the skillet and, flipping occasionally, cook until golden brown on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes.
Plate your nuggets and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Top with syrup, if using. Enjoy!
PER SERVING (entire recipe): 228 calories, 6.5g fat, 395mg sodium, 31g carbs, 3g fiber, 10.5g sugars, 12.5g protein
2010 Hungry Girl. All Rights Reserved.