Cardamom-Stewed Chickpea and Tomato Ragout
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 cardamom pods, toasted and ground
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds, toasted and ground
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 large jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
Heat a heavy-bottom saucepan over a medium flame. Add oil and onion, cook until translucent. Add cardamom, coriander, cumin, and turmeric, stir for 1 minute. Add jalapenos, tomatoes, and chickpeas; simmer for 20 minutes, season with salt and pepper to taste. Add lime juice and cilantro. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.