Caribbean Stew Over Pierogies
- Total Time:
- 35 min
- 35 min
- 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet green bell pepper, chopped (1-1/4 cups)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled, cut in small cubes (1-1/2 cups)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can ready-to-serve chicken broth (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon Caribbean jerk seasoning (see note)
- 1 (16.9-ounce) box frozen potato & onion pierogies
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add pepper and onion. Cook and stir until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in small sweet potato cubes, broth and home-spice blend or jerk seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until potato is tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook pierogies according to package instructions (I prefer to lay the frozen pierogies in an inch of boiling water in a large skillet, overlapping them slightly; don't bother sauteeing them in butter afterwards.)
Drain the pierogies and divide among warm dinner plates; keep warm. Add black beans to the vegetable mixture and heat through. With a potato masher or fork, mash a small portion of the vegetable mixture against the saucepan to slightly thicken sauce. Spoon over the pierogies.
Note: Use vegetable broth in place of chicken broth for a vegetarian entree. If you can't find jerk seasoning at the supermarket, blend garlic salt, ground allspice and red pepper in desired proportions.
Recipe adapted from Mrs. T's Pierogies of Ateeco Inc., Shenandoah, Pa.