- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet green bell pepper, chopped (1-1/4 cups)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled, cut in small cubes (1-1/2 cups)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can ready-to-serve chicken broth (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon Caribbean jerk seasoning (see note)
- 1 (16.9-ounce) box frozen potato & onion pierogies
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add pepper and onion. Cook and stir until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in small sweet potato cubes, broth and home-spice blend or jerk seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until potato is tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook pierogies according to package instructions (I prefer to lay the frozen pierogies in an inch of boiling water in a large skillet, overlapping them slightly; don't bother sauteeing them in butter afterwards.)
Drain the pierogies and divide among warm dinner plates; keep warm. Add black beans to the vegetable mixture and heat through. With a potato masher or fork, mash a small portion of the vegetable mixture against the saucepan to slightly thicken sauce. Spoon over the pierogies.
Note: Use vegetable broth in place of chicken broth for a vegetarian entree. If you can't find jerk seasoning at the supermarket, blend garlic salt, ground allspice and red pepper in desired proportions.