Carrot Cardamom Soup with Aleppo Marshmallow and Pumpkin Seed Oil
Recipe courtesy Brad Farmerie
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 30 min
- 1 hr
- 30 min
- 8 servings
- Carrot and Cardamom soup:
- 1 1/2 cans (480ml cans) coconut milk
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 1/4 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 of a fist-sized white onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 thumb ginger, peeled and finely chopped (microplane is best for this)
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1 2/3 pounds carrots, peeled and grated
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 pound sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Aleppo-Syrian dried chili flakes
- 4 sheets gelatin, soaked in cold water
- Pumpkin seed oil
- Toasted pumpkin seeds
- Picked cilantro florets
This soup not only has a beautiful flavor of carrot and exotic spice, but it is beautiful in its presentation and easy to make. Serve this in ornate tea cups as a way to start your dinner party and it will get the conversation rolling and the guests smiling- I promise. When carrots are at their best, make a double batch as it freezes well and you'll always have a showstopper waiting in the wings (or the freezer). If the marshmallow-making seems intimidating, it can be left off, but that would be like telling a joke and not giving the punch line. Give it a go and you'll see that you are a much better cook than you may have thought!
-Combine coconut milk, water, honey, and lemon juice and set aside.
-Combine the onion, garlic, ginger, butter and cardamom in a pot and place on low heat.
- Sweat the mix over low heat until everything is soft and translucent.
- Add the grated carrots and turn heat to high.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring, and then add liquids.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook until carrots are soft (about 30 minutes).
- Place a pot of water on high heat until it comes to a simmer.
- Separately, squeeze the excess water out of the gelatin sheets and place in a small mixing bowl. Place this bowl over the warm water until the gelatin melts (becomes liquid) and set aside.
- Place the bowl with the egg whites, sugar, and chili into the electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
-Whisk the mixture until stiff peaks form.
- Slow the speed down to medium and pour in melted gelatin. Whisk until incorporated.
- Pour mixture onto a 1/2 sheet pan that has been lightly oiled and well dusted in cornstarch.
- Sift more cornstarch over the top.
- Refrigerate until firm.
-Cut the marshmallow into the desired size and shape.
-Heat the soup over medium heat and serve 150 to 175ml (5 to 6 ounce) portions in tea cups.
-Place a marshmallow in the center of the soup. Using a blowtorch (or the broil setting on your oven), toast the marshmallow.