Saffron Ice Cream:
- 2 cups cream
- 2/3 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 20 to 30 strands saffron (about a tablespoon, loosely packed)
- 3 cups fresh carrot juice
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups cotton candy, preferably white or orange
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Edible gold for garnish (optional)
In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stir together cream, half and half, sugar, honey, eggs and 2/3 of the saffron. Bring to a simmer and slowly cook, stirring constantly, until cream mixture turns a gentle yellow color, about 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and allow to steep as it cools, about 30 minutes. Strain and pour into an ice cream maker. Add remaining strands of saffron and process according to manufacturer's instructions, then freeze until ready to use.
In a blender, combine half of ice cream with carrot juice and whole milk. Blend until thick and creamy. Pour into serving glasses and top with a scoop of saffron ice cream. Garnish with cotton candy dusted with nutmeg, cinnamon and edible gold (if using). Serve immediately.
- This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.