Carrot Puree with Hazelnut Tapenade
Recipe courtesy EatingWell
- Total Time:
- 30 min
- 30 min
- 4 servings
- 1 pound carrots (5-6 medium), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons chopped green olives
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
This carrot-potato puree has an amazing silky-smooth texture. We give it a sophisticated touch with a quick tapenade made with green olives, orange zest, hazelnuts and garlic. For a simpler dish, just make the puree and skip the topping.
2. Meanwhile, combine hazelnuts, olives, orange zest, garlic and 1 teaspoon oil in a small bowl.
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 195 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrate; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 504 mg sodium; 837 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Vitamin A (337% daily value), Vitamin C (28% dv), Potassium (24% dv).
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings
Tip: To toast chopped nuts or seeds, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
From www.eatingwell.com with permission. 2009 Eating Well Inc. Photo by Ken Burris