- 4 cups cooked tarbais or white beans, recipe below
- 4 cups braising liquids (lamb, chicken, duck or rabbit)
- 8 1 -oz pieces braised lamb
- 8 oz duck or rabbit confit, medium to large pieces removed from bones
- 2 4 -oz pork sausages in casing, seared and sliced into 4 pieces each
- 4 slices pancetta, 1/3- to 1/4-inch thick
- 8 Tablespoons duck fat
- 8 Tablespoons breadcrumbs
- Beans for Cassoulet:
- 1/2 cup duck or pancetta fat
- 1 large white onion
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced in half
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- Pinch chili flakes
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3/4 quart tarbais or white beans, soaked overnight
- Kosher salt, to taste
Preheat convection oven to 350 degrees F. Place an earthenware dish into the oven to warm.
In a large saute pan combine white beans, liquids, lamb, duck and sausages. Place the slices of pancetta in another pan and sear until crisp on one side. Bring the meat and bean mixture to a simmer and pour into the hot earthenware dish. Once the pancetta is crisp on one side, place unseared side on top of the bean mixture, leaving crisp side facing upward. Place back into the oven. Cook until cassoulet is hot and the bean mixture is simmering. The liquid should be reduced but the bean mixture should still be very loose and moist. Remove earthenware dish from the oven. Drizzle duck fat on top and finish with breadcrumbs.Beans for Cassoulet:
In a large sauce pot warm fat over medium high heat. Add onions, garlic, thyme, rosemary, bay and chili flakes. Cook until onions are soft, then add tomato paste and cook until tomato has caramelized on bottom of pan, 5 to 10 minutes. Deglaze with red wine and cook until reduce to au sec (nearly dry). Add beans, stir to coat with tomato, add water to cover. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce temperature to keep beans cooking at a gentle simmer. Add water as needed. Cook until the beans are tender and starch texture becomes creamy, up to 2 hours depending on the beans. Pour into a shallow pan and salt appropriately. Place into refrigerator and cool.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.