Grilled Watermelon and Prawns
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 cilantro sprigs, chopped
- 1 pound (16 to 20 count) prawns, peeled and deveined, with the tail left on
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 limes, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small seedless watermelon, sliced into 1/4-inch wedges, rind on
- Unsweetened coconut, toasted for garnish
- 1 scallion, sliced for garnish
Preheat the grill.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the water and the sugar. Cook over low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Pour 1 cup of the syrup into a small bowl and set aside.
To the remaining syrup, add the red pepper, jalapenos, garlic, and cilantro and simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes, or until thickened and marmalade-like.
In the meantime, toss the prawns in a bowl with half of the olive oil, juice of 1 lime, cayenne, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Place on the hot grill and grill each side until cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
Place the watermelon on a plate and brush each side with the reserved sugar syrup and the remaining olive oil. Place on the grill and cook on both sides, about 2 minutes.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.