Grilled Watermelon and Prawns
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 cilantro sprigs, chopped
- 1 pound (16 to 20 count) prawns, peeled and deveined, with the tail left on
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 limes, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small seedless watermelon, sliced into 1/4-inch wedges, rind on
- Unsweetened coconut, toasted for garnish
- 1 scallion, sliced for garnish
Preheat the grill.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the water and the sugar. Cook over low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Pour 1 cup of the syrup into a small bowl and set aside.
To the remaining syrup, add the red pepper, jalapenos, garlic, and cilantro and simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes, or until thickened and marmalade-like.
In the meantime, toss the prawns in a bowl with half of the olive oil, juice of 1 lime, cayenne, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Place on the hot grill and grill each side until cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
Place the watermelon on a plate and brush each side with the reserved sugar syrup and the remaining olive oil. Place on the grill and cook on both sides, about 2 minutes.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.