- 2 pounds (about 16 to 20) small sardines
- 1 pound gray sea salt, dried and ground
- 2 ounces lemon juice (from about 2 lemons)
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped oregano
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- 20 Kalamata olives, pitted
- 1 small loaf rustic bread, sliced
Clean the sardines by cutting the heads and tails off with a scissors. Then, cut down the backbone to open the fish. Do not slice completely through. Remove the bone.
Coat the insides of the sardines with a covering of gray salt and close the fillet. Coat the outside with salt, and place in a shallow, small plate. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 12 hours.
Rinse well and slice in half to separate the fillets.
In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice, olive oil, and oregano together. On a platter, lay the tomatoes out and place the sardine fillets on top. Pour the lemon mixture over the fish. Toss olives on top and serve with the rustic bread for meze.