- 6 ripe beefsteak tomatoes, seeded
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons raw rice
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus 4 teaspoons
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup grated Kasseri
Cut the top off of the tomatoes and clean out all of the pulp leaving about a 1/2-inch thick skin. Reserve pulp.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a saute pan, heat the butter and add the chopped onion to the pan. Cook until the onions are golden brown, and add in the garlic. Add in the pulp from the tomatoes and stir in the rice. Add in 1/4 cup olive oil and a little water and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add more water if necessary. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley, pine nuts, and mint.