Cavatelli al Sugo di Pollo
- 1 pound cavatelli
- 1 3 1/2 pound chicken, cut into 16 equal-sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 3 red onions, peeled and chopped
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds very ripe fresh tomatoes, passed through a food mill
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 large pinches saffron
- 21 basil leaves, julienned
- Freshly grated Pecorino Romano
Place the olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat and saute the pieces of chicken until golden brown on all sides, about 12 minutes. Remove the chicken pieces with a slotted spoon. Add the onions to the pot, along with the red pepper flakes, and cook them for 10 minutes or until translucent. Add the tomato and the tomato paste, mixing well. Add the saffron and allow to simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the chicken back to the pot, along with the basil, and lower the heat, allowing the sauce to simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
While the chicken is simmering, cook the pasta, drain it, mix well with the sauce and serve with the grated Pecorino on the side.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Tagliatelle al Sugo di Funghi (Tagliatelle with Mushroom Ragu), Chicken "Saltimbocca": Saltimbocca di Pollo, Rao's Famous Lemon Chicken (Pollo al Limone), Roast Beef Recipes, Veal Chop Recipes, Pork Butt Recipes, New York Strip Steak Recipes, Prime Rib Recipes, Short Ribs Recipes