Chana Dal Vadai (Deep-Fried Dumplings Made with Yellow Split Peas and Fresh Dill)
- 1 cup chana dal (yellow split peas), washed
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 -inch piece of garlic
- 1 hot green chili, stemmed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill (or coriander)
- 10 to 15 fresh curry leaves (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
Soak the dal in enough water to cover for at least 2 hours. Drain and set aside. In a food processor, mince the garlic, ginger, and chili. Add the drained dal and mince again, adding 1/4 cup of water to achieve a fairly smooth paste. Take care not to add too much water--it will make the dumplings difficult to shape.
Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add the onions, dill, curry leaves, salt, and pepper. Mix well. Warm oil for deep-frying in a wok or deep fryer set over medium-high heat. With your fingers, make rounded walnut-size balls of the dal mixture and drop them gently into the hot oil, spooning some over the dumplings to seal them. When the underside has browned lightly, gently turn them to cook on the other side. Cook for a few minutes until lightly golden all over. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.