Try these tender savory scones for breakfast, lunch or a snack, or split one and tuck a poached egg in the middle for a light meal. Make a spicy version with Cabot Hot Habanero Cheddar, Cabot Chipotle Cheddar or Cabot Jalapeno Light Cheddar.
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, fluffed with whisk before measuring
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces Cabot® Seriously Sharp Cheddar, Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar or Cabot Sharp Light Cheddar, grated (about 2 cups)
- ½ cup chopped fresh baby spinach leaves
- ¼ cup chopped moist sundried tomatoes*
- ½ cup Cabot® 2% Plain Greek-Style Yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1. Place rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 425°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or stack two sheets together (to keep bottom of scones from over-browning).
2. In mixing bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt, whisking to blend. Stir in cheese, spinach and tomatoes.
3. In small bowl, whisk together yogurt, egg and oil until well combined. Stir into flour mixture until no dry ingredients remain.
4. Turn dough out onto floured cutting board. Sprinkle top with more flour and knead about six times. Press dough into 1-inch-thick circle (about 7 inches in diameter). Cut circle into 8 wedges. Transfer scones to prepared ungreased baking sheet.
5. Bake in upper third of oven for 10 to 14 minutes or until golden. Slide spatula under bottoms to release if necessary. Serve warm or at room temperature.
*If your sundried tomatoes seem leathery, cover them with boiling water and let stand for a few minutes until softened, then drain and chop. If substituting oil-packed sundried tomatoes, blot excess oil with paper towels.
Nutrition Analysis per scone
Calories 230, Total Fat 13.5g, Saturated Fat 6g, Cholesterol 54mg, Sodium 413mg, Carbohydrates 17g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Protein 11g, Calcium 271mg