Cheesy Chicken Pasta
Recipe courtesy EatingWell
- Total Time:
- 32 min
- 20 min
- 12 min
- 8 ounces whole-wheat penne
- 2 cups 1/2-inch cauliflower florets
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken or turkey (12 ounces; see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or scallion greens
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 5 minutes. Add cauliflower florets and cook until the pasta and florets are tender, about 4 minutes more. Drain, rinse and return to the pot.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add wine and cook until reduced slightly, about 1 minute. Whisk milk, flour, salt and pepper together in a medium bowl and add to the pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and stir in cheese until smooth. Stir chicken (or turkey) and mustard into the cheese sauce; cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 433 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 5 g mono); 75 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrate; 34 g protein; 5 g fiber; 491 mg sodium; 483 mg potassium. Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (38% daily value), Calcium (35% dv), Potassium (20% dv). 2 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 low-fat milk, 3 lean meat
TIP: To poach chicken breasts, place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
From www.eatingwell.com with permission. 2009 Eating Well Inc. Photo by Ken Burris