Chef Stella Salad
- 2 cups mesclun salad mix
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper strips
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 oil-cured black olives, such as kalamata or Gaeta, pitted
- 3 pepperoncini pickled peppers
- 2 ounces deli-sliced mozzarella cheese, at room temperature (1 long rectangle slice or 2 square slices)
- 1 -ounce thinly sliced prosciutto
- Special equipment: 2 heavy-duty, gallon-sized resealable plastic bags
Prepare the Salad: Place the salad mix in 1 of the plastic bags and keep refrigerated. Combine the remaining ingredients in the second plastic bag and shake to mix.
Make the Pinwheel: Layer the mozzarella with the prosciutto, and roll it up tightly-squeeze hard to keep it rolled up. (If using 2 square slices cheese, lay them end to end, slightly overlapped, to create 1 long slice.) Slice the roll into 4 equal-sized pinwheels and place them in the bottom of the bag with the vegetables and refrigerate.
To serve, arrange the lettuce in a bowl and cover the vegetables and pinwheels.
Recipe courtesy George Stella