- 2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening or butter, melted
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups seeded fresh or very well drained frozen or canned cherries
- Warm milk, optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8-inch square-baking pan. Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Add milk, shortening, egg, and vanilla; stir just until combined. Fold in cherries and pour into greased pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until center springs back when lightly pressed. Cool 15 minutes. Cut into 6 rectangles and serve warm from pan with warm milk to pour over it, if desired.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.