- 6 pounds oxtails (1-inch cut)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, not extra virgin
- 3 cups onions, medium dice
- 1 cup scallions, sliced
- 1/2 cup garlic, sliced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
Toss the ingredients together in a large bowl, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cloves, whole
- 1 1/2 teaspoon allspice, whole
- 2 cups tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups red peppers, chopped
- 1 Scotch Bonnet pepper, seeded and chopped
Take oxtails out of marinade and reserve onion mixture. In a heavy-bottom braiser over medium-high heat, brown both sides of oxtail in batches in olive oil, drain excess oil leaving just enough to saute onion mixture and thyme. After the onions and thyme are sauteed return oxtails to braiser and add enough water to cover 1/4 of the oxtails. Allow the liquid to come to a simmer. Put cloves and allspice into a sachet or tie in a cheesecloth, and submerge in liquid. Season with salt, cover, and put into a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Then add tomatoes, red and Scotch Bonnet peppers. Stir well and return pot to the oven for half an hour or until oxtails are tender. Check to see if additional water is needed during braising process. Seasoning with more salt is recommended when finished.