- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups diced onions
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 6 tablespoons Jamaican or Madras curry powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped ginger
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups large diced pumpkin
- 1 (12.5-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 chayote, peeled, and roughly chopped
- 2 cups large dice Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- Vegetable stock, to cover
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- Cheryl's Hot Sauce, to taste, recipe follows
Heat a large braising pot over high heat. Add the oil and the onions, and saute for 2 minutes. Then, add the red peppers and saute 2 minutes more.
Then, add curry powder, and saute until fragrant. Add the garlic, ginger, a little salt and pepper to the saute.
Add the pumpkins, chickpeas, chayote, potatoes, carrots, thyme, and scallions, and stir the saute for about 6 minutes. Add enough vegetable stock to just cover the vegetables. Bring to a simmer, and then add the cauliflower and cover the pot.
Simmer for about 35 minutes. Then add Cheryl's Hot Sauce, salt, and pepper, to taste. Simmer for 5 minutes more.
Cheryl's Hot Sauce:
- 10 whole Scotch bonnet peppers, rinsed and stems removed
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 10 whole pimento seeds
To a blender, add peppers and 1 cup of vinegar and puree. Add remaining vinegar, if needed. Stir in pimento seeds. Store in a bottle or jar in refrigerator.
Yield: 2 cups