- Chestnut and Whiskey Mousse
- 16 ounces chestnut puree
- 1 cup whiskey (Recommended Maker's Mark)
- 3/4 cup cream
- 5 gelatin leaves
- 4 cups whipping cream
Bring the whiskey and the 3/4 cup cream to a boil. Remove from heat and add the gelatin leaves.
Pour into a mixing bowl with the chestnut puree. Mix with a "La Feuille" (a paddle mixer).mix until the mixture cools down Fold the whipped cream into the chestnut whiskey mixture with a spatula, forming a mousse. Reserve in a plastic pastry bag.
Chocolate and Walnut Biscuit
- 20 egg yolks
- 12 1/2 ounces sugar
- 25 egg whites
- 8 ounces sugar
- 1.2 oz. cocoa powder
- 4.5 oz. walnuts (chopped finely in a food processor
Preheat oven to 350F.
In a bowl mix the yolks and 12.5 oz. sugar to a ribbon.With a spatula fold in cocoa and chopped walnuts. Mix well. In a separate bowl whip egg whites with the 8 ounces of sugar, firm but not stiff. Fold egg whites into the yolk/sugar mixture. Bake on a sheet pan on parchment or silpad for 20 to 30 minutes.
Syrup for Biscuit
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup whiskey
Bring water and sugar to a boil. Remove from heat. Add whiskey (no heat).
Spiced Chocolate Sorbet
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 10 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 ounces chocolate, chopped
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon espelette powder
Bring the water and the sugar to a boil in a large, stainless steel pot. Add the cocoa powder and whisk until smooth. Add the chopped chocolate, honey, bourbon, pepper, and espelette.
Turn in sorbet, or ice cream machine.
- 6 gelatin sheets
- 7 ounces water
- 12 3/4 ounces sugar
- 5 1/4 ounces cocoa powder
- 7 1/2 ounces cream
Soak gelatin sheets in ice water. Bring water and sugar to a boil. Slowly wisk in cocoa powder, then the cream. Bring to a boil. Strain mixture of any lumps and cool down to 144 degrees F.
Remove gelatin sheets from water, squeeze dry, and then mix into chocolate. Cool down completely.
Assembly of Dessert
Cut 12, 1 1/2 and 3 inch discs out of the chocolate and walnut biscuit.
- Brush the discs heavily with the whiskey syrup. Set aside.
Using 12 silicone dome molds, take the mousse and fill each mold a quarter of the way up.
Take the 1 1/2 inch disc and put it into the mold, pressing it into the mousse until level with it.
Take the mousse and fill the molds, filling till 1/2 inch from the top of the mold.
- Take the 3 inch disc and press it into the mold. Should be level with the mold.
- Freeze for 4 to 5 hours or until completely frozen.
Slowly pour chocolate over each bomb till thoroughly coated. Put onto a sheet tray and refrigerate for an hour.
Plating of Dessert
Brush some melted chocolate glaze onto a circular plate going from ten o clock to two clock.
- Take one finished chocolate mousse and cut a wedge out of it.
Place the chocolate mousse at ten o clock on the plate and the wedge opposite it and two o clock.
- Take a quenelle of chocolate sorbet and place it at four o clock on the plate.