Chestnut Roasted Figs with Truffle Vinaigrette and Truffle Cheese
- Total Time:
- 35 min
- 10 min
- 25 min
- 1/2 pound whole chestnuts
- 6 black mission figs
- 8 ounces chestnut honey
- 6 ounces truffle cheese
- 8 ounces mache
- 4 bamboo skewers (soaked)
- 1 shallot
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 4 ounces white wine vinegar
- 8 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- CHESTNUTS SIMMERED AND Sauteed WITH BUTTER
- (Recipe Courtesy of Don Pintabona, Executive Chef Tribeca Grill)
- Put 2 pounds of chestnuts in cold water, season with a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to a simmer for 40 minutes until tender. Saute the cooked chestnuts with 3 tablespoons of butter, reseason with salt and pepper and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley.
Rinse the chestnuts under water. Take a sharp knife and score the flat side of the chestnut, making a cross. Toss nuts in a little oil and sprinkle with salt. Lay the oiled nuts out on a baking sheet and roast in a pre heated 275 degree F oven for about 20 minutes or until fully roasted (shell opens). Let the chestnuts cool, and then peel and chop them. Chop half of the nut very finely and the other half coarsely.
Cut the figs in half and place on skewers; 3 halves per skewer. Place the skewers on a baking sheet and drizzle with honey. Sprinkle the finely chopped chestnuts over the figs and place under a hot broiler and heat until browned.
To plate the dish, toss the mache in the vinaigrette, sprinkle with finely chopped chestnuts and place in the center of the plate. Place a warm fig skewer diagonally on top of the salad. Place coarsely chopped chestnuts around the plate. Sliver the truffle cheese and lay on top of the fig salad. Finally, drizzle some truffle vinaigrette around the plate.
Recipe Courtesy of Don Pintabona, Executive Chef Tribeca Grill