- 8 grissini breadsticks
- 8 very thin slices prosciutto
- 2 teaspoons minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup canola oil or olive oil
- 5 ounces mesclun greens
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
Wrap each grissini in a piece of prosciutto, on a slight diagonal to cover as much of the breadstick as possible. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix the shallot, mustard, vinegar, salt, and pepper together. Gradually whisk in the oil in a slow stream. Place the mesclun greens and fennel in a large bowl and toss evenly with the dressing. Distribute among 4 serving plates and sprinkle with pine nuts.
Take 2 prepared grissini and place them on top of each salad forming an "x". Serve immediately.
Cook's Note: Grissini are pencil-thin breadsticks that can found at specialty and Italian food markets.