Chicken al Carbon with Cilantro Salsa
- 6 servings
- 6 whole chicken breasts, boneless but with skin on
- Spicy Citrus Marinade, recipe follows
- Orange Cilantro Salsa, recipe follows
- SPICY CITRUS MARINADE
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 Morta chili or 3 Arbol chiles
- 1 cup Red Tomato Salsa, recipe follows
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Wash the chicken breasts and place in a large stainless steel or plastic container. Pour on the marinade, cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours, or overnight.
Preheat the grill or broiler until very hot.
Grill the chicken breasts, skin side down on the grill, or skin side up in the broiler, 2 to 3 minutes. Then turn and cook the other side. Keep turning the chicken every minute or 2 to avoid blackening or sticking; total cooking time is 10 to 12 minutes for small breasts and 18 to 20 for larger breasts. (We always cook chicken breasts with the skin on for flavor. For skinless chicken, we just remove it before serving.)SPICY CITRUS MARINADE
Transfer the citrus mixture to a blender. Add the remaining ingredients and puree until smooth.
Yield: 2 cups
c.1997, M.S. Milliken & S. Feniger, all rights reserved
Recipe courtesy of Tyler Florence