Chicken and Rice Casserole
Recipes adapted from the USA Rice Council in Houston, Texas.
- 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10-3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup pasteurized process cheese spread
- 3 cups cooked rice (1 cup uncooked)
- 1 (10-ounce) box frozen broccoli cuts, thawed, drained
- 1 (8-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs or crushed croutons
Melt butter in a Dutch oven with oil over high heat; swirl pan to blend. Add chopped mushrooms. Cook and stir over high heat about 2 minutes. Add onion and chicken-breast pieces. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook until chicken is just cooked through, stirring in garlic the last minute or so.
Add undiluted mushroom soup and the cheese spread (or if using Velveeta, dice it). Stir until cheese is melted. Remove pan from heat. Stir in the cooked rice, thawed broccoli, water chestnuts, sour cream and pepper. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish sprayed with a nonstick product.
Bake at 400 degrees, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven. Top with Cheddar cheese and breadcrumbs (a bit of grated Parmesan mixed in with the crumbs is optional). Return to oven until cheese melts.